On September 3, North Korea conducted its sixth nuclear test, which was its most powerful ever. The test was designed to examine the technology to adjust the explosive power of a hydrogen bomb to be mounted on an intercontinental ballistic missile(ICBM). As a result, it caused a 6.3 magnitude seismic event. It was, to quote President Moon Jae-in, not only a clear violation of UN Security Council resolutions, but also a very grave challenge to international peace and security. The reaction of the US is to be aggressive, harshly threatening North Korea to which North Korea threatens back. South Korea is divided into 2 opinions. One way is to stand by the US, and together intensify pressure on North Korea. Another way is to arm ourselves with nuclear weapons, enduring the potential international penalties.
It's nearly impossible to predict what steps that North Korea will take, but we all know about the worst scenario. A NUCLEAR WAR. It is unlikely going to happen, and should not happen, but better safe than sorry. Now, let’s check the most probable scenario if war takes place and what important items to include for your war preparation kit.
The Brief Scenario of the War
If a hydrogen bomb mounted on an ICBM (estimated to be 100 kilotons) dropped on City Hall of Seoul, at the altitude of 100 meters, there would be 2 million casualties, including 360,000 people who would be killed instantly from the explosion. Whole places within, 590 meters of City Hall, like Gwanghwamun Station and Euljiro Ipgu, would literally “vanish,” by the intense heat from the explosion, and every living thing would be killed. The huge crater would generate a strong windstorm, which would collaspe all the concrete buildings, leaving no chance for any living creature to survive within 1.16 kilometers of City Hall. Actually, this would lead to a situation of nothing being left inside the four main gates of old Seoul. The radioactive contamination would spread through Seoul Station, Dongnimmun Gate, and Jongno and 50~ 90 percent of the people living in these areas would die in the following hours or weeks. Survivors should run to subway stations, underground parking lots, or basements, somewhere safe from the explosion or the radioactive contamination. Except for some areas which would be hit directly with the nuclear bomb, the survival rate would incredibly increase, by having some vital items prepared in advance of the war. Let’s check these life-savers for the long-term wartime preparation.
Nuclear War Preparation Kit
- 30 day supply of food and water – a certain amount of water so you can drink once every 3days, canned food or MRE(Meals Ready to Eat) are suitable, since they are sealed and safe from radiation penetration
- Heat source – lighters, hot pockets, anything that you can build fire or make yourself warm
- First Aid Kit
- Hazmat Suit – must be the one which can prevent radiation penetration
- Extra pair of clothes – when going outside the shelter, wear them and dump away before coming back to the shelter (might be contaminated)
- Lights (blackout kit) – candles, backup batteries, chargers…
- Tools – like can openers or multi-tools, better with a full tool set
- Sanitation kit – heavy dust trash bags, soaps, saw dust(in case of no toilet) …
- Radiation detector – radiation levels below 20 is fine
- Recreational material – books, journals, some card games… to pass the time and keep one’s morale high
Lee Jumi firstname.lastname@example.org
<저작권자 © 홍익대영자신문사, 무단 전재 및 재배포 금지>